Friday, 15 May 2009

My Somewhat Late One Page Dungeon Entry

I'd started an entry for this competition but my holiday had come along before I'd sorted it out and then I took my eye off the ball and never completed it. However, since the deadline has been extended by a week due to some ambiguity about the original deadline I decided I may as well finish it up and send it in just for jollies.

It's called Strange Loops, it's only 12 encounter areas but set in a strange and (hopefully) confusing maze created by unfathomable warps in space and time - hence the name.

You can download it here - http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7e58a253.html. It's decided to be easily extendable and scalable to suit your party. If you don't like it, well it's an idea for a dungeon level and there are 12 encounter areas you can cut-and-paste straight into your own designs.

I found the One Page Dungeon Template to work really well - it forces one to concentrate on purely the essential notes on the dungeon and so level construction is very fast. Strange Loops took a bit of time because of the odd geography but I suspect it wouldn't take above an hour to do a more conventional level and at an average of 2 lines to describe each keyed location, a level of 20 encounter areas can easily be fitted onto one sheet of paper.

3 comments:

  1. Better late than never.

    Nifty little unique level. Lots of fun touches with the statues (including giant head - maybe the level got built around an old statue...the neck and rest of the body just a couple feet below the floorstone!) and such. Good mix of oddness/monsters.

    Gelatinous Splatter? Never heard of it. I guess cubes have to have physical problems just like anything else. Diseased, or disabled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Brunomac. By "splatter" I mean a Gel. Cube that isn't cube shaped but is more of a pouring of thick, clear slime oozing over the floor. Also, I like the sound of the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is mint, I'm gonna splice it into my megadungeon, well done, hope it's a winner!

    ReplyDelete