Monday, 26 October 2009

Nurglemas

No sooner do I have a week off work to look forwards to a week of housework, painting figures, loafing and getting out and about then Grandfather Nurgle strikes me down with only the second bout of asthma I've had since childhood. Arse. Thanks for that. So Monday, my first day off for what seems like ages, is spent sitting bored on the settee wheezing away like a clapped-out Austin Metro. It also means that I haven't been able to get out and buy my copy of Chaos Marauders.

I did get a game of Wings of War in over the weekend though. A bunch of us were staying the weekend at a friend's house in Worcester and I'd taken Space Hulk down only to discover that I hadn't got the Missions Book with me. To keep the not-really-a-nephew-nephew quiet I set up a quick game of Wings of War with him.



Since he's only six years old I kept things simple by ignoring all the rules on "steep" moves, just letting him pick any three cards in any order. WoW has a card draw system for damage (which, by including lots of 0's, also works as a general firing mechanism - instead of determining if you hit and how much damage you do a single card draw shows whether you hit or not and how much you inflicted) this is normally kept secret by the recepient, but we played this "open". I fanned the Damage cards out and let the player firing the shots pick the correct number. This I feel is a little more tactile than the target player just drawing off the top. It feels less scripted somehow - which isn't a solid argument I accept but I just feel that picking a card scores over being dealt the top one even when mechanically the outcomes are identical since you can't influence the result you pick.

What struck me is that WoW is a bit drawn out with only two aircraft and firing opportunities aren't that common and a lot of 0s come out, in fact in six draws, Jake draw five zeroes and the other card was a 1 or something similar. Perhaps this game should be kept back for larger, multi-player games with more firing opportunities.

Elsewhere on the geeky front I picked up a Nintendo DS and, ahem, an R4 card for, ahem, back ups. I went and bought Broken Sword Director's Cut which was a rather nice nostalgia trip. As a huge fan of the 90's era point-and-clicks it's not clear why I hadn't bothered to get one before (with the genre getting something of a revival on the stylus-and-touchscreen format) but glad I did now. Especially with the television being out of commission and the clocks having changed I can see some adventuring going on on the little screen over the winter nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment