Thursday, 17 June 2010

Fluffy Positivity

I'm sitting on a large number of abandoned blog posts, all of which are bloody negative and grumbling about something. None of this is why we love gaming so let's be positive and rave about great things.

POSITIVITY!

40K Kill Team (the new version in Battle Missions which is completely unrelated to the old complicated setup in 4th edition) is seriously flawed, doesn't quite work properly but is a lovely format and is getting me loads of little games in and I keep planning teeny tiny armies of only 200 points from figure range I wouldn't normally consider (such as Spacewolves and Tyranids). It's also encouraging me to think about themed terrain sets for the little 3' x 4' tabletops we play on and look for interesting plastic aquarium plants for alien jungle planets. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

A friend has, for many years and certainly as long as I have known him, worked opposite Questing Knight games in Wellington, Shropshire and never thought to mention this fact to me until recently. It's sited about a minute's walk from a railway station that is on the same line as a station local to me so hopefully shortly I will make a trip up on the train and then there's the whole new world of a new gaming shop to explore and visit! Maybe even this weekend! Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

I don't know if I will ever play Rogue Trader the RPG (careful Coop - negativity starting to creep in) but reading the "world" background is great, takes me back to the days of hushed awe at the bloody magnificence of the WFRP world. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

It's looking increasingly likely that my corrective laser eye surgery will need a second dose to "polish" the results (not literally polish since it's more a matter of intelligent lasgun application... the eyes are now 90% of good but don't seem to want to add that missing 10% of their own accord). That could be negative but will give me another excuse to catch up upon my reading, such as the two and a half Fighting Fantasy books I've got on the stack, tempting me with their promise of nostalgic 2d6 throwing, monster names IN UPPER CASE and my anal retentive love of mapping the books out looking for the perfect, "speedrun" path. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

New MTG is coming out next month. I never got around to doing much with MTG2010 (has it really been eleven months?) but now that I attend the other local club where there is something of a collectible card scene so I might be able to get involved with this and enjoy the simple pleasures of periodically spending pocket money prices on little packets of hidden goodness. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

I now have A Bridge Too Far, the Flames of War boardgame for Operation Market Garden. It seems a nice mix of old school "consim" rules and new school lovely artwork on the board and funky plastic figures, thus marrying the solidity of the old Avalon Hill games to modern German-style graphic design, artwork and bits quality. Looking forwards to playing this next Tuesday. The board is very glossy. Coop likes glossy. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

Not-Really-A-Nephew has started collecting World Cup 2010 Match Attax cards. These actually have the World's flimsiest game attached to them but it gives me the opportunity to play something on his level and show him how to go about collecting and organising his cards. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

Black Powder is a beautiful book and makes me want a drawing room and some brandy so Gentlemen friends and I can indulge in long, sunny days of pushing toy soldiers around, writing up grossly exaggerated accounts of miniature battle for our memoirs. I won't actually do any of this, but that doesn't matter. Is pleasant enough to know that, amidst all the competition wargames, malodorous individuals and social outcasts, kindred spirits exist somewhere. Enthusiasm!

POSITIVITY!

I have new dice, lots of new dice, and having new dice means that I always look forwards to opportunities to use them - or games as they are more commonly known. New dice (disgusting florescent green and yellow 12mm D6s from Chessex) were thrown during Kill Team on Tuesday. Felt good. There are still more virgin dice in the tackle box demanding games in which they can be deflowered. Enthusiasm!

Right then, that's better. I feel in love in geekery again.

(This post is brought to you in association with the Brilliant kid from The Fast Show. Because everything is brilliant.)

3 comments:

  1. My 40K days are long behind me. The game is too expensive and requires too much investment for me to get involved nowadays. Except for Combat Patrol/Kill Team, which constantly beckons to me. I must resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your positivity for Black Powder reminds me of George Orwell's Little Wars. "Little Wars is the game of kings - for players of an inferior social position. It can be played by boys from every age from twelve to one hundred and fifty - and even later if the limbs remain sufficiently supple - by girls of a better sort, and a few rare and gifted women."

    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=M9dshxV-T0cC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe H.G.Wells wrote Little Wars...

    ReplyDelete