Saturday, 5 June 2010

Thanks Guys...


I know I said I wasn't going and I said I didn't want to sod about getting autographs but...

I've been suffering from post-LASIK (laser eye surgery) complications which had left me in a state of serious fucked-offness. This morning at 0920 hours I got taken off the hourly steroid eyedrop regime I had been put on as an emergency measure - this meant that I could now actually go places without spending ten minutes in every hour with milky eyedrops seeping from my eyelids and leaving encrusted smeg all around my eyes (which you can't rub off - since that risks agitating a surgical incision). Couple this with being told it was now OK to expose the eye to any dust meaning that I can drop the roof on Frog Jr. again and I thought "bollocks to it! I'm going to Expo!".

I went to Steve and Ian's seminar on the history of GW. There was little I didn't already know from reading the potted history in WD90 but it was a nice way to pass an hour listening to the guys themselves. Deserves a podcast if anybody recorded it.

I took the sentimental value Orange Book Fighting Fantasy. It was a toss-up between that and Citadel of Chaos in the original Emmanuel cover (the first one I owned - I had Warlock quite a bit later) and decided it was unfair on them to sign multiple books. I only really joined the queue to just say a thank you to J&L for the fun hobby, friendships and times but what was cool was their reaction to everybody who spoke to them.

They'd admitted that the necessities of running the business meant that they'd binned loads of stuff so when a host of 30-somethings turned up with battered and treasured books from their childhood, the pair looked genuinely touched that we'd all kept these books.

I guess they'd assumed that we wouldn't have kept them and that they'd be signing the new Wizard releases (I bought Eye of the Dragon from the FF stall alongside the signings as it seemed the polite thing to do) so it was a nice moment. Steve looked chuffed when I handed him my orange book. Shows the sentimental power of books and knowing you've been a part of somebody's childhood.

Glad I went, glad I got it signed.

1 comment: