Sunday, 4 September 2011

Prince of Shadows


A nice find in the second-hand racks at Waylands Forge yesterday.

Prince of Shadows was a two-gamebook series from Gary Chalk and David Kerrigan dating from 1988 and 1989, urban-based and published in an unusual format - each book is 8.5" x 10.5" and has only 64 pages with a 200+ paragraph length.

One of those gamebooks that, like the two-player FF book Clash of Princes, I only saw once or twice Back In The Day, didn't pick up and regretted it ever since.

3 comments:

  1. I had these two on my bookshelf for years and am ashamed to say I haven't read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played one of them once - my local library had them. I can't have been more than 12 years old. I remember enjoying it, but that's about all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I gave Mean Streets a run through last night. Very reminiscent of LW, mainly because of the Gary Chalk artwork and also because the game system requires you to pick a selection of skills and offers a bunch of "If you have XXXX skill turn to" choices. Which is similar to LW's choice of Disciplines.

    Interesting scenario (deposed Prince trying to contact the resistance to the evil usurper) but I got crucified by the combat system which seems to give you 50/50 combats (no discernable player advantage) which saw me dead after two fights. In both fights, the NPC had more "hit points" and an higher percentage chance to hit than I did. I may return to these and play them without the dice.

    ReplyDelete