Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Been Quiet Recently

Been quiet recently. The reason for this is that I'm following a self-imposed curfew from VDU use after 10 at night in the interests of combating insomnia. So no PC, iPhone games, DVDs or vidya after 10 which is cutting the amount of time I spend online.

Despite this, the Rogue Trader game at Oldhammer weekend is go go go, scheduled for Sunday 1st September at Foundry in Nottingham. You can find the thread and rules and such like at the B.L.O.O.D. forum (no idea what that acronym stands for) here.

Anyway pics of some toys that will no doubt show their faces at Foundry.







Sunday was the West Midlands Military Show at Wolverhampton which is the same show that used to be based at that run-down secondary school in Walsall just off J10. Despite the name it's 90% wargaming with the balance being made up from displays by local kit modellers, a re-enactor or two and a couple of Second World War US Army vehicles.

These days, with the decline of the small "club open day" show this is one of only two shows I attend, the other being the show that used to be called Sandwell Skirmish but then moved out of Sandwell and into Brum which is held in December.

I picked up a few bits and pieces, mainly for the Oldhammer 40,000 game. I saw nothing of RPG interest, the usual Bring and Buy stall was pretty desolate and devoid of much of interest. I think this is probably the continuation of the decline of the B&B concept (once upon a time being the only real reason to attend smaller shows) it's market share having been decimated by eBay and a lot of tales of theft from stalls. That's usually where I pick up RPG bargains but nothing of interest this time.

On the subject of RPGs I finally got around at looking at the PDF download of 1977 vintage Tunnels & Trolls (4th edition) that I downloaded back in November. Printed out and bound this now means that I have four copies of T&T across three different editions and I have never played any of them...






11 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, I missed Alumwell this year as I was sunning it up in Belgium, you are right the bring and buy is naff now, I used to love the bloke who had the stall covered in boxes of loose miniatures, I used to spend hours looking for some rare miniatures I bet that has been decimated by ebayers too. I still reckon it is one of the better shows though.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for those boxes for raw material for the Oldhammer warband but didn't see any apart from at Lesley Bits Box and that was just full of incomplete 90s era 40k glue-bombs.

    There were a lot of 80s and 90s era blister packs from Citadel, Grenadier and Ral Partha being flogged off on one stand though, acquired some nice stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chuck a photo of your purchases on your blog mate

    ReplyDelete
  4. B&B for the win. Scored a copy of 3rd ed Stormbringer for £1 at Vapnartak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favourite all-time RPGs is Stormbringer. Can't really summon the fanatical interest in the Eternal Champion books that I had as a teenager but the game is fantastic.

      Delete
  5. Nominally "Bucket Loads Of Old Dice" a fantasy wargame retro-clone that may yet one day appear. Just noticed you've got the starting of an #FF22: Robot Commando tabletop game there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me I was planning on bringing along the buckets from children's seaside bucket-and-spades for the masses of dice-rolling at Oldhammer day!

      Yeah, Robot Commando, dinosaurs against robots - Rogue Trader would support that no problem. Dinosaurs with random move, attacks and I versus robots that have to write their orders one or two turns in advance. Don't give me ideas...

      Delete
  6. As a former insomniac I can offer this advice.

    Max of five caffeine portions a day, none after 19:00. Limit VDU use after 17:00 to 30 mins at a time (stop to make some of that lovely decaffeinated tea you will have bought! Ugh...). Have a cheeky brandy at bedtime while you read for half an hour (or do any sleep inducing activity of your choice).

    I now sleep the peaceful and guilt-free sleep of a babe in arms. Though I have had some pain in the liver region of late...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Paul,

    I did try going cold turkey on caffeine, got past the splitting headaches phase but then found that I couldn't summon up any enthusiasm for the day without a cuppa and risked falling asleep at the wheel in the morning. Cut down dramatically though and a recent convert to Red Bush, drinking no real tea after 2000 hours.

    My problem is basically that the real world is about 3 hours out of synch with my body clock, if left to own devices, I'd go to bed at 2 and get up at half ten or so. Never struggle to fall asleep, it's the waking up in the small hours that is the problem.

    Am getting better now by not stimulating brain with info and eyes with blue light before bed, also using one of those masks for sleeping on aeroplanes which seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go with what works and remember there is no one way to go about it. VDUs are strongly linked to anxiety, stress and insomnia, though the analyst in me believes that it's the kind of job that has you in front of a screen for more than 5 hours a day that is the real problem. Now, I know nothing about your situation or symptoms but my experience is that I had to ultimately search for the root cause. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go with what works, and good luck! VDUs are strongly linked to the stress, anxiety and insomnia, though I blame the jobs behind the VDUs personally!

    ReplyDelete